Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) is wholly-owned by the City of Ottawa and governed by an independent Board of Directors appointed by its shareholder. The company’s core businesses are electricity distribution, renewable energy generation and energy conservation and management services. Hydro Ottawa owns and operates two subsidiary companies.
Hydro Ottawa Limited
- is a regulated electricity distribution company operating in the City of Ottawa and the Village of Casselman;
- is the third-largest municipally-owned electrical utility in Ontario, serving over 319,500 residential and commercial customers;
- has a 1,104 square kilometre service area;
- transports power from the provincial electricity grid across a distribution network comprising 85 distribution stations, 169 station class transformers, 2,800 kilometres of underground cable, 2,900 kilometres of overhead lines, 35,600 transformers and 48,000 hydro poles;
- delivered 7,722 gigawatt hours of electricity in 2013, representing 6.2 percent of the electricity distributed province wide;
- will fund capital investments of more than half a billion dollars over the course of 2012 to 2016; and
- accounts for 80 percent of the revenues of Hydro Ottawa in 2013.
Energy Ottawa Inc.
- is a provider of commercial energy management services;
- is the largest municipally-owned producer of green power in Ontario;
- owns and operates six run-of-the-river hydroelectric generators at Chaudière Falls;
- holds interests in two landfill gas-to-energy joint ventures at the Trail Road landfill site and the Laflèche landfill site in Moose Creek, Ontario;
- a total generation capacity of more than 48 megawatts annually, which is enough to power 40,000 homes.