Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) is a private for-profit company that is wholly-owned by the City of Ottawa and governed by an independent Board of Directors appointed by its shareholder. The company’s core businesses are electricity distribution, renewable energy generation and energy conservation and management services. Hydro Ottawa owns and operates two subsidiary companies.
Hydro Ottawa Limited
- is a regulated electricity distribution company operating in the City of Ottawa and the Village of Casselman;
- is the third-largest municipally-owned electrical utility in Ontario, serving over 315,000 residential and commercial customers;
- has a 1,104 square kilometre service area;
- transports power from the provincial electricity grid across a distribution network comprising 85 distribution stations, 2,700 kilometres of underground lines, 2,900 kilometres of overhead lines, 35,400 transformers and 48,300 hydro poles;
- delivered 7,570 gigawatt hours of electricity in 2012, representing 5.4 percent of the electricity distributed province wide;
- will average capital investments of $100 million per year to 2016; and
- accounts for about 87 percent of capital assets and 92 percent of the revenues of Hydro Ottawa.
Energy Ottawa Inc.
- generates renewable energy and provides commercial energy management services;
- is Ontario’s largest municipally-owned producer of green power;
- generated 320,000 megawatt hours of renewable electricity in 2012, enough to power 38,000 homes for a year;
- has 38 megawatts of capacity from hydroelectric generators at Chaudière Falls;
- has 10.2 megawatts of capacity from landfill gas-to-energy plants through joint ventures at the Trail Road Landfill and the Laflèche Landfill site in Moose Creek, Ontario; and
- saved the City of Ottawa $403,000 in 2012 through energy management services.