Hydro Ottawa is proud to announce its selection as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers; making it the seventh time the company has won the award.
In 2017, the company finished construction of a new hydroelectric facility at Chaudière Falls, adding another 29 megawatts of clean energy to the provincial grid. The station powers 20,000 homes with clean, renewable energy and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 metric tons of CO2.
Hydro Ottawa’s commitment to environmental sustainability goes beyond its generation operations. Its multi-year Environmental Sustainability Strategy focuses on carbon footprint reduction, waste management and recycling, greening procurement and the supply chain, and building a culture of environmental sustainability.
- As Ontario’s largest municipally-owned producer of green power, Hydro Ottawa’s diverse generation portfolio is capable of producing 128 MW of electricity; enough to power 107,000 homes annually.
- Hydro Ottawa owns and operates 16 run-of-the-river hydroelectric facilities, including six stations in Ottawa’s downtown core.
- In 2016 and 2017, the utility installed rooftop solar panels on a number of city-owned arenas and other buildings capable of generating nearly 3,000,000 kWh/year; the equivalent of removing more than 300 homes from the grid annually.
- The utility also owns majority shares in two landfill gas-to-energy generating plants.
”Being green is a defining value here at Hydro Ottawa. As corporate citizens, we have a responsibility to make a difference in our communities, to reduce our carbon footprint and to help our city reach its sustainability goals.”
- Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer
Manager, Media and Public Affairs
Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 2345