Hydro Ottawa is committed to delivering the highest levels of customer service and safety. To achieve this goal, we regularly evaluate, replace and upgrade equipment in your area – and across the region’s electrical distribution system.
Over the following months, Hydro Ottawa will be undertaking a cable and transformer replacement project in the Bilberry Drive area of Orleans. This work is necessary to ensure reliability of electricity supply in the area.
Most electricity distribution assets have a lifespan of 50 years or less. In order to stay ahead of this aging curve Hydro Ottawa is replacing and upgrading the infrastructure servicing the community. Overall, this project includes:
- The installation of a duct system which will house new underground cables. This will minimize the requirement for excavation for future cable replacement projects.
- The replacement and installation of underground cables that are manufactured using improved insulation materials; and
- The replacement and installation of transformers that are more compact and that will provide safer and quicker operation for our powerline maintainers.
Starting June 29, 2020, and over a period of approximately 4 weeks, Hydro Ottawa’s contractor Bradley-Kelly Construction will be undertaking excavation activities to install the new duct bank systems.
Once the civil work mentioned above has been completed, Hydro Ottawa will be moving forward with the replacement and installation of 12 new transformers, impacting a total of 250 customers.
Each padmount transformers are an integral part of our electrical distribution system that can be vital to providing reliable electricity to several homes and in order to safely undertake their replacement, planned power interruptions will be required.
Customers impacted by a planned power interruption, will be notified at least 72 hours prior to the interruption taking place, by phone, text, email and/or written notice delivered to their door
Once we have replaced the padmount transformers, Hydro Ottawa will move forward with the reinstatement work and bring this important project to completion.
The Bilberry Drive major project is expected to be completed in September 2020.
- Project location: Bilberry Drive north of Jeanne D’Arc Boulevard area
- Project commencement start date: June 29, 2020
- Project estimated completion date: September 2020
- Power interruption duration: 6 to 8 hours