OTTAWA – With its commitment to environmental sustainability in all aspects of its business, Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. has been selected as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the ninth time.
Hydro Ottawa invests in producing clean, renewable energy, but the company’s commitment to environmental sustainability goes far beyond its generation operations. The company’s comprehensive sustainability roadmap engages all parts of the business in protecting the environment – from its highly successful waste diversion programs to water conservation practices at its new facilities, to its commitment to sourcing materials locally; Hydro Ottawa walks the talk on sustainability. Through partnerships with the City of Ottawa on streetlight conversions and solar installations, to its grass-roots programs to engage youth, Hydro Ottawa also helps the community consume less energy and use it wisely.
Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. owns and operates three subsidiaries: Hydro Ottawa Limited, which distributes electricity across the nation’s capital; Portage Power, which generates 128 megawatts of clean renewable energy annually; and Envari Holding Inc., which offers large-scale sustainable energy solutions for businesses, governments and utilities.
- As Ontario’s largest municipally-owned producer of green power, Portage Power produces enough renewable electricity to power 107,000 homes through its hydroelectric, landfill-to-gas and solar installations.
- From streetlight conversions to retrofits, Envari provides its customers with leading-edge solutions to reduce their energy consumption.
- In 2019, Hydro Ottawa opened its two new campuses in the east and south ends of Ottawa. Both campuses are designed and constructed to LEED Gold standards; incorporating the production of on-site renewable energy, the preservation of natural resources, and a significant reduction in waste and greenhouse gases.
- Its new Main Office uses approximately 55 per cent less water due to the installation of efficient and innovative washroom fixtures and the collection of rainwater for sewage (toilet) conveyance thanks to a cistern fed by a rainwater roof harvesting and filtration system. This reduces water consumption by about 1.6 million litres per year.
- Hydro Ottawa’s in-school electricity safety and conservation programs build awareness and a culture of conservation and sustainability among elementary-aged children; the program has educated nearly 280,000 students since its inception.
- Hydro Ottawa is a catalyst member of EnviroCentre and Carbon613, a growing network of organizations that are setting and achieving greenhouse gas reduction targets in Ottawa.
- Hydro Ottawa consistently diverts more than 90 per cent of its non-hazardous, solid and liquid waste from landfill.
”At Hydro Ottawa, we believe it’s our responsibility to help build a vibrant and sustainable capital. That extends to our own operations and our impact on the environment and the communities in which we live and work. We are fiercely focused on the health and safety of our employees, our customers and our city. That means making decisions that prioritize the environment as a major factor in how we define success.”
- Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer
Manager, Media and Public Affairs
Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 2345