OTTAWA – Phone scams continue to plague residents and businesses in the nation’s capital as Hydro Ottawa customers report that they are receiving calls threatening disconnection unless an immediate payment is made. Hydro Ottawa advises everyone to hang up immediately and call the utility directly at 613 738-6400. All other telephone numbers provided are fake.
Once again, Hydro Ottawa reminds all residents that given the state of emergency in the province, it has extended the ban on electricity disconnections for all customers until July 31, 2020. Hydro Ottawa is also offering flexible payment options and financial assistance programs that include emergency relief on its website. There is absolutely no threat of disconnection.
Customers are reminded of the following tips to stay safe:
- Never make a payment for a charge that isn’t listed on your most recent bill
- Ignore text messages or emails with suspicious links promising refunds
- Don’t call the number provided to you. Instead, call Hydro Ottawa directly at 613-738-6400 to check the status of your account
- Do not provide any personal information or details about your account
- If you feel threatened in any way, contact 911 or the Ottawa Police Service at 613-236-1222 ext. 5433
- Report fraud using the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online form
- Visit Hydro Ottawa’s Fraud Awareness page for more information
Manager, Media and Public Affairs
Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 2345