Suburban housing development neighbourhood - aerial view


Have a question about Hydro Ottawa Residential Services?

Please check here first. If you don't see your question here, please feel free to ask us directly via our convenient online feedback form.

I am building a new single home(s), duplex, town home or small apartment building. How do I arrange this new service?

This request and many others can be made online. Our step-by-step request form guides you through the process quickly, and easily.

Request Electrical Service or contact us.

If you are building a single home, a duplex or a block of town home units on an infill property, you can arrange to meet a Customer Layout Co-ordinator.

If you are developing a parcel of land with numerous units i.e. single homes, duplexes, town homes or a mixture of each, you may contact the Supervisor of Residential Services or by telephone at 613-738-5499 ext. 7131 for further information.

I am renovating my home and I must relocate my electrical service. How can I arrange this change?

This request and many others can be made online. Our step-by-step request form guides you through the process quickly, and easily.

Request Electrical Service or call our Customer Service Desk.

You can also arrange to meet a Customer Layout Co-ordinator.

What must I submit to Hydro Ottawa before I can get a new electrical service?

  • Infill Projects

    For infill projects, Hydro Ottawa requires a site plan and a Load Summary Form (Appendix A, Conditions of Service), the type of service requested (overhead or underground) and the type of space heating. Hydro Ottawa also requires the name and telephone number(s) of the building contractor and the electrical contractor. We also require a civic address, a billing name and a billing address.

  • Subdivision Projects

    For subdivision projects, contact the Supervisor of Residential Services by telephone at 613-738-5499 ext. 7131 or by email for details.

What size of electrical service should I install to my home?

The standard size of service to a non-electrically heated home is 100 amperes @ 120/240 volts. Some large homes may require a larger service size. To accurately determine the correct size of electrical service required for your home, we recommend a load summary be completed as per Section 8 of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Your electrician should be able to assist you with this task.

Who inspects the electrical work completed in my home?

The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) is responsible for inspecting the electrical wiring installed in all homes in Ontario. They can be contacted by phone at 613-225-7600 or 1-877-372-7233. Their web page is Hydro Ottawa must receive authorization from the ESA in order to connect any new, upgraded or altered electrical service. The ESA will charge a fee for this service. The fee is normally paid by the electrical contractor and passed on to the homeowner as part of their contract cost.

Where can I find a qualified electrical contractor?

As of January 1, 2007, all electrical contractors must now have a provincial electrical contractor licence to perform electrical work for clients, according to a new law passed by the Ontario government and being enforced by Ontario's Electrical Safety Authority.

The goal of the new law is to prevent Ontarians from suffering injuries and property damage due to unprofessional and unsafe electrical work.

All licensed electrical contractors should be able to reference their license number, and it's your right to ask for it. The new legislation is intended to make life easier for consumers and give them the peace of mind in knowing the contractor they've hired is qualified, competent and insured.

If you're looking to hire a licensed electrical contractor to do electrical work on your property, a listing is available or by calling 1-877-372-7233.

How much does an electrical service cost?

  • Infill Projects

    For infill projects supplied from an existing distribution system, there is a fixed cost schedule (Appendix G, Conditions of Service) that outlines the cost of various sizes and types of services.

  • Subdivision Projects

    If you require service to a subdivision, Hydro Ottawa will provide an offer to connect based on either a cost per unit or an estimated cost depending on the type of subdivision being developed. Contact the Supervisor of Residential Services by telephone at 613-738-5499 ext. 7131 or by email for further details.

Is there an easement on my property?

Your property may contain a Hydro Ottawa easement. This easement is a legal right of access for Hydro Ottawa to a portion of private property for the purpose of installing and maintaining its distribution system. It is typically a 4 or 8-foot strip across the back or side of the yard. Whether or not an easement exists on a property can be determined by a title search of the property.

The legal agreements that create easements are registered on the title to a property. The agreement obliges the property owner to keep the easement free from obstructions.

It is vital that easements be kept clear; to permit access to the equipment that supplies you and your neighbours with electricity. Hydro Ottawa has an obligation to maintain the electrical system and to restore service quickly if it is interrupted. Easement obstruction will delay the restoration of service in the event of a power failure.

Do I have a choice of servicing my home with an underground cable or an overhead wire?

  • Infill Projects

    Infill lots that have an existing pole line that lies along the property may provide the option of installing an overhead service wire. Many areas are serviced completely with underground cables and as such can only provide an underground service.

  • Subdivision Projects

    Virtually all new subdivisions are serviced from underground cables and padmounted transformers. This type of servicing is mandated by the City of Ottawa via the subdivision agreement between the city and the developer.

How far can gas meters and gas lines be located from my electrical meter and cable?

The Ontario Electrical Safety Code requires that a minimum separation of 900 millimetres be maintained between gas and electric meters. Canadian Standards Association Standards require a minimum 300 mm horizontal and vertical separation be maintained between gas lines and electric cables.

Hydro Ottawa strongly recommends that gas lines and electric cables be installed as far apart as possible.

I want to plant some new bushes around the green box on my lawn. What distance do I keep away from it?

Hydro Ottawa has standard drawings for clearances around padmounted equipment. Not all equipment is the same and therefore, the clearances vary device to device. In all cases we need access to this equipment to ensure both safety to our operators and a secure supply to our customers. Please call us at 613-738-6400 (option 4) to determine what your required clearance should be.