Energy Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB)

Under a provincial regulation for Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB), large building owners are required to report their energy and water consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines (ENDM) on an annual basis.

COVID-19 Update – EWRB Deadline Extension

Initiated by the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines, for the 2020 reporting year, the Government of Ontario will now be accepting the submission of data to the Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) initiative until October 1, 2020. This is intended to be a one-time relief extension as the COVID-19 outbreak may restrict large building owners from being able to meet the July 1 reporting deadline. In turn, Hydro Ottawa will be accepting EWRB data requests up until the new reporting deadline on October 1, 2020.

This regulation applies to privately-owned buildings that are 50,000 square feet or larger, including commercial buildings, multi-unit residential buildings (with more than 10 units), and some industrial buildings (such as warehouses and industrial condominiums).

The provincial government has proposed changes to this regulation to revise the lowest threshold for mandatory reporting to 100,000 square feet. However, these proposed regulatory amendments have not yet been finalized, and therefore the existing 50,000 square foot threshold remains in place. We will continue to monitor this item and update this page if any changes are made.To learn more about whether the EWRB regulation applies to your building, and how and when to report your data, consult Ontario Regulation 20/17 and visit

Requesting your data from Hydro Ottawa

Under the EWRB regulation, local distribution companies like Hydro Ottawa are required to make aggregated electricity consumption information available to building owners upon request, so that they can report their data to the Ministry of Energy annually by July 1.

To assist building owners, Hydro Ottawa has created an electricity data request form. It may take 4-6 weeks to process requests.

To ensure building owners have sufficient time to gather and prepare their data for reporting prior to the July 1 deadline, we encourage building owners to request their data as soon as possible each year. This will allow sufficient time to process the many requests received. Because of the large volume of requests we expect to receive, requests received after June 1 may not be processed by the July 1 deadline.

Hydro Ottawa may need to follow up with a building owner, in the event that any information in the request form is unclear or missing. In addition, Hydro Ottawa may require some time to validate third-party representatives who request information on behalf of a building owner.

If you are a building owner that has to comply with the Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) Regulation, fill out the form below to request your electricity consumption data from Hydro Ottawa.

Before you fill out the form, you should gather the following information:

  1. The account number for all accounts that are part of the building (as many as you can gather). (At least one account number is mandatory)
  2. The EWRB number for the building. This number is provided by the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines. (Mandatory)
  3. The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) code for the property (if available). You can visit the AboutMyProperty website to access this code.
  4. The MPAC roll number (if available). This number is stated in the property tax statement.

If you have any questions before filling out and submitting the form, please send your inquiry to [email protected].

Data Request Form


This section is about the person/company that owns the property for which energy consumption data is requested.



This section is about the person requesting energy consumption data, if different than the property owner. This is the person Hydro Ottawa will contact if there is an issue.



This section is about the property/building for which energy consumption data is requested.

Was this page useful container