We encourage you to be cautious regarding suspicious activity related to demands for account payment or refunds owed to you. In most cases, these communications are fraudulent.
Never provide any personal or electricity account information in response to suspicious calls, texts, or home visits.
If you feel threatened in any way, contact the local police.
Scam or fraudulent scenarios may include, but are not be limited to:
- Payment on account
- Refund due to overpayment
- Entitlement to a reward
How Hydro Ottawa communicates with you
There may be times when Hydro Ottawa sends you an automated telephone message, a direct mail letter, an email or a SMS/text to your mobile phone regarding planned power interruptions. On occasion we may also hand deliver a notice or have a Hydro Ottawa representative visit at your address.
A number of our processes include a variety of timed communications, meaning we will use multiple channels to share information on the same topic. Our messages always include a telephone number and address.
When a planned power interruption is scheduled for your address, you may receive an email and/or a text/SMS message. Automated telephone calls will continue for some customers. Our messages do not demand payment or offer a refund. Please do not reply to these notifications, replies are not monitored.
Hydro Ottawa does not:
- Send text/SMS messages or emails demanding payment or offering a refund.
- Request immediate payment by credit card or gift card to avoid disconnection.
- Ask for credit card information over the telephone.
- Meet customers at random locations to receive payment.
- Access your home for reward eligibility.
- Hire contractors for re-connection/disconnection for overdue accounts (Hydro Ottawa Field representatives who come to your door will be driving an official Hydro Ottawa vehicle, with all the appropriate Hydro Ottawa branding).
When in doubt, call us at 613-738-6400.
Have you received a suspicious message?
Here’s what to do:
- Don’t click any links or call a number provided.
- Do not share any personal information (e.g. credit card number, account number, address).
- Call Hydro Ottawa at 613-738-6400 to verify legitimacy of the message.
Phone calls may seem legitimate because your call display shows Hydro Ottawa’s telephone number (613 738-6400).
Fraudulent text messages may include a link to a website with a similar name and address (URL) to Hydro Ottawa’s website. If it seems suspicious, don’t click any links.
If someone approaches your door, ask to see identification, including a business card and an identification card with the person’s name and company’s information.
In all cases, call us at 613-738-6400 to verify the legitimacy of the communication.
It's extremely important to report fraud to the authorities
Complaints are one of the best ways to gather evidence in order to better protect consumers and businesses. If you suspect that you have been the victim of a scam, you can submit a report by contacting the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or online, and the Ottawa Police Service at 613-236-1222 ext. 5433.