The Ontario Electricity Rebate (OER) is a provincially funded rebate that applies as a credit on qualifying electricity bills and reduces the pre-HST costs on customers’ bills by 19.3%.
Eligibility to receive the rebate is defined under the Ontario Rebate for Electricity Consumers Act, 2016.
The following customer types are eligible:
- Low volume accounts (meaning the account has a demand for electricity of 50 kilowatts or less, or uses not more than 250,000 kilowatt hours of electricity per year); this includes residential and many small business customers;
- Long-term care homes; and
- *Multi-unit complexes that are predominantly residential, such as condominium and apartment buildings.
*Multi-unit complexes that are predominantly residential, such as condominium and apartment buildings must complete and submit the OER Self-Declaration form to Hydro Ottawa to attest their eligibility.
For a definition of all of the above terms please refer to the OER Self-Declaration form.
Effective July 1, 2022, the Ontario government expanded eligibility for some residential and other low volume consumers:
- Common areas in individually metered multi-unit complexes that contain at least 50 per cent residential units, such as condominiums;
- Retirement residences that are not long-term care homes, but do not meet eligibility criteria as a residential multi-unit complex; and
- Residential mobile home parks.
Did you know? If your account is a low volume account, such as ‘’residential and small business customers’’ or relates to a farm or a long-term care home, you don’t need to sign up to receive the rebate. The rebate is applied automatically to your Hydro Ottawa bill each month.
If you have one of these accounts but you are not already receiving the OER, please contact us. If you are not sure whether you are already receiving the OER, check your last Hydro Ottawa bill.
In order to receive the OER, consumers who now qualify under the expanded eligibility requirements will need to submit the OER Self-Declaration Form to Hydro Ottawa in which you attest your eligibility.
If you are now eligible, we encourage you to submit your completed form. We recommend that you use the fillable PDF form to submit your request.
If you currently receive the Ontario Electricity Rebate under the regular eligibility requirements there is no action required by you.
Self-Declaration Form Submission
The aforementioned receipt deadlines should be weighed when completing and submitting the self-declaration form.
- Email:[email protected]
- most efficient way to process your request
- Fax: 613-738-6403; Attention: Customer Service
- Mail: Hydro Ottawa, PO Box 8700, Ottawa, ON K1G 3S4; Attention: Customer