OTTAWA – Phone scams continue to plague Hydro Ottawa business and residential customers who have reported receiving calls threatening disconnection unless an immediate payment is made. Hydro Ottawa advises everyone to hang up immediately and call the utility directly at 613 738-6400. All other telephone numbers provided are fake.
Hydro Ottawa encourages customers to protect themselves and follow these tips to stay safe:
- Never make a payment for a charge that isn’t listed on your most recent bill
- Ignore text messages or emails with suspicious links promising refunds
- Don’t call the number provided to you. Instead, call Hydro Ottawa directly at 613-738-6400 to check the status of your account
- Do not provide any personal information or details about your account
- If you feel threatened in any way, contact 911 or the Ottawa Police Service at 613-236-1222 ext. 5433
Hydro Ottawa reminds all customers that it never threatens to disconnect power immediately, nor does it ask customers to meet its employees at a location to make payment.
Recognizing that these are difficult times for some, Hydro Ottawa is encouraging its customers who have fallen behind on their energy bills to contact them directly. Hydro Ottawa also offers flexible payment options and financial assistance programs that include emergency relief.
Manager, Media and Public Affairs
Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 2345